Find Your Dream Job
Finding a Dream Job can feel a lot like searching for a needle in a haystack. We start by viewing each candidate as an individual, identifying their distinct strengths and guiding them to the right opportunities. We're also big believers in mentoring our candidates and creating long-term relationships. Helping you find your Dream Job is really just the start. We want to help you build a Dream Career!
Stop Dreaming. Start Searching.
Head of Total Rewards
San Francisco, California | Direct Hire
The Head of Total Rewards will demonstrate an understanding of how total rewards supports the overall organizational strategy to enhance employee attraction, retention and engagement, as well as drive performance and business results. The scope of ownership will design, develop, direct, plan, implement and evaluate all total rewards programs which includes executive compensation. Additionally, this leader will partner with the HR team in the execution of the annual salary review process and provide input and support to the HRIS team and the systems development and automation related to total programs.
The following responsibilities apply to all areas of Total Rewards, including executive compensation, employee compensation and company-wide benefits plans.
- Lead the Total Rewards function to effectively design, implement and manage the compensation and benefits
- strategy, philosophy, programs, policies and initiatives to ensure that they are aligned with the company’ overall business strategy, priorities, and corporate culture.
- Proactively ensure compensation and benefits programs are competitive based on market assessment and understanding of our business strategy to enhance the company' s ability to attract and retain top talent.
- Communicate effectively and develop strategic partnerships with Executive Leadership, Legal, and Finance Teams.
- Partnering with the Head of HR, manage the executive compensation platform, including preparation/presentation to the Compensation Committee of the Board.
- Lead the annual compensation planning process to ensure successful delivery, competitiveness and alignment with compensation philosophy
- Develop training programs to educate leaders, managers and colleagues on the company’ s compensation and benefits programs
- Lead the evaluation and alignment of individual positions, job levels and career families.
- Coordinate interaction with executives and the external consultant to the Compensation Committee to review/develop the Compensation Committee quarterly meeting presentations and related support.
- Lead the development of the health and welfare benefits strategy and direct the design, implementation, communication and cost control of health and welfare benefit programs for employees.
- Ensure the company’ s compensation and benefits plans comply with legal and other regulations and manage processes and controls to ensure ongoing compliance with those regulations.
- Partner with external vendors, brokers and consultants in compensation and benefit areas to ensure the company is positioned competitively and stays current on market trends and changes in the life sciences industry.
- Develop and execute a comprehensive communication strategy for compensation and benefit programs and identify opportunities to enhance employee engagement, facilitate proactive and effective messaging to educate employees as well as support the company’ s growth and strategic plan.
- Support the HR team and overall organization with implementation of HR programs, projects and initiatives.
- Bachelor’ s degree in HR Business or related field. Master’ s degree is desirable.
- 10+ years in development, implementation and execution of compensation strategies in support of business objectives in a public company
- 3-5 years working directly with the head of HR, CEO and Board (Compensation Committee) on executive / equity compensation strategies and programs is desirable
- One or more certifications or demonstrated technical experience in compensation, benefits, HR leadership and/or consulting; CCP designation preferred
- Strong analytical skills, mastery of Excel and PowerPoint and HR systems
- Demonstrated leadership in a fast-paced and evolving organization.
- Experience with internal and external reporting/disclosures requirements on executive compensation
- Knowledge of M&A due diligence and integration
- Robust financial acumen, as well understanding of tax/accounting/legal/regulatory issues related to executive compensation programs
- Demonstrable partnership and influencing skills, strong communication skills, a commitment to outstanding customer service
- Expert in design and management of sales, executive, traditional and non-traditional compensation programs
- Ability to consult with employees at all organizational levels
- Knowledge of equity plans
- Effective communication and presentation skills
- Sense of humor a must!