Find Your Dream Job
Finding a Dream Job can feel a lot like searching for a needle in a haystack. We start by viewing each candidate as an individual, identifying their distinct strengths and guiding them to the right opportunities. We're also big believers in mentoring our candidates and creating long-term relationships. Helping you find your Dream Job is really just the start. We want to help you build a Dream Career!
Stop Dreaming. Start Searching.
Senior Accountant (General Ledger)
San Carlos, California | Contract
The Senior Accountant, General Ledger is responsible for performing daily, monthly, and annual financial reporting activities in accordance with Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP). These activities are performed for three business units for our client.
Examples of Essential Functions:
- Assume management responsibility for the day-to-day activities of the Finance Division – General Ledger work group.
- Perform complex accounting activities to include: creating journal entries; grant and fixed asset accounting, reviewing and verifying reliability and integrity of financial data and accounting systems, and project accounting and budget control activities.
- Review audit schedules and reconciliations and respond to audit requests, deficiencies and findings.
- Review and submit complex accounting reports such as monthly financial statements, Comprehensive Annual Financial Reports (CAFRs), annual National Transit Database Report (NTD) and annual State Controller’ s Report.
- Act as liaison between Finance and other departments, organizations and agencies.
Examples of Duties:
- Review journal entries for completeness, accuracy and relevance. Examine supporting documents to establish conformance with agreements, contracts and state and federal regulations.
- Review monthly financial statements to ensure accurate reporting. Analyze budget to actual variances and make any necessary adjustments. Ensure timely submission based on published month-end schedules.
- Review and analyze account reconciliations prepared by accountants.
- Act as the accounting software (PeopleSoft) super-user. Responsible for ensuring accounting template setups are correct, reporting trees are updated and accurate, process configurations are setup correctly (i.e. allocation process, year-end closing process)
- Responsible for running the payroll interface to general ledger. Reconcile bi-weekly payroll report with the general ledger. Research and resolve accounting issues related to the interface process.
- Communicate with internal and external parties to resolve complex accounting issues. Interpret rules and regulations of other government agencies that affect the District’ s accounting process.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Supervision: Work under the general supervision of a Finance Manager, who establishes goals and objectives and evaluates performance.
- Bachelor’ s Degree in accounting, finance or related field (equivalent experience may be substituted).
- Five (5) years of full-time accounting or related experience. including
- Must demonstrate ability to analyze and solve accounting problems with timeliness and accuracy.
- Must be have effective skills in computerized accounting systems (PeopleSoft experience a plus),
- Must have effective oral and written communication skills.
- Experience in a governmental organization, especially a transportation agency
- Experience with enterprise fund accounting, especially capital/fixed asset accounting