Find Your Dream Job
Finding a Dream Job can feel a lot like searching for a needle in a haystack. We start by viewing each candidate as an individual, identifying their distinct strengths and guiding them to the right opportunities. We're also big believers in mentoring our candidates and creating long-term relationships. Helping you find your Dream Job is really just the start. We want to help you build a Dream Career!
Stop Dreaming. Start Searching.
oakland, CA 94607
The Accounting Manager is responsible for accurate and timely payroll processing, vendor and reimbursement payments, and reporting and reconciliation of various financial data in accordance with Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP) and company policy under the supervision of the Chief Financial Officer (CFO). In addition to a prior experience in a payroll function, this position requires integrity, organization, and investigative skills to administratively fulfill the organization’ s financial obligations.
- Processes payroll semi-monthly with consistent accuracy: Sets-up new employee upon hire, runs reports on relevant employee changes, reviews timecards and secure approvals, previews and presents highlights to CFO, and finally submits payroll. Also runs off-cycle payroll as needed, and calculates special cases of pay owed to employees by coordinating state benefits with company policies governing pay for employee leaves of absence.
- Performs accounts payable functions weekly by processing employee expense reimbursements and cutting checks in a timely manner, verifies coding, getting approval, retaining W9s, and paying vendor invoices. Ensures that all expected invoices are accounted for and resolves any billing issues.
- Reviews and approves General Ledger reconciliation monthly for payroll and each applicable accounting area with some exceptions. Prepare payroll and PTO accrual reconciliations, and adjust PTO amounts in the General Ledger.
- Reviews and approves most journal entries made by Senior Accountant.
- Manages accuracy and compliance of HR-related insurance by reconciling health insurance enrollment and charges with current changes, managing any vendor corrections, submitting section 125 payments to vendors, assisting in the review of 401K compliance reports and forfeiture allocation, and sending out mandatory notices to employees on these matters.
- Onboards and terminates employees by preparing paperwork as required by law and company policy/practice, and by setting up the employee across all systems and vendors.
- Maintains proper payroll records: Makes changes for employees as needed, audits and reconciles employee paid time off accruals, downloads reports after payroll, and files hard copies of payroll according to current legal requirements.
- Prepares, maintains, and/or provides specific required forms and any accompanying notices annually: 1099s, 5500, 990, CA SI-100, census, welfare exemption
- Administers Paychex set-ups, training of new employees on time & attendance, and resolves issues diligently and proactively protects against further issues.
- Drafts the quarterly financial statement for the CFO in preparation for presentation to the Board of Directors.
- Responds to special requests and performs annual audit, e.g. implementation of new software, fulfilling auditor requests
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Bachelor’ s Degree in Accounting or similar financial education
- 3+ years’ Accounting experience in a business environment
- Minimum of 3 years’ experience in payroll administration, preferably of a similar company size.
- Payroll software experience required; Paychex experience preferred.
- Non-profit experience preferred.
- Quickbooks experience preferred.
- Working knowledge of and experience with using Excel for financial data
- Demonstrated adherence to business ethical standards, and thorough knowledge of GAAP
- Ability to effectively and professionally communicate with all levels of employees and management.
- Excellent planning, organizing, and project management skills.
- Ability to perform data extraction and manipulation, analyze data, identify inconsistencies, and generate reports.
- Able to process a high volume of data entry with very little to no mistakes on a daily basis.
Wollborg Michelson is an Equal Opportunity Employer