Find Your Dream Job
Finding a Dream Job can feel a lot like searching for a needle in a haystack. We start by viewing each candidate as an individual, identifying their distinct strengths and guiding them to the right opportunities. We're also big believers in mentoring our candidates and creating long-term relationships. Helping you find your Dream Job is really just the start. We want to help you build a Dream Career!
Stop Dreaming. Start Searching.
Assistant Payroll Manager
San Rafael, CA
Key areas of responsibility include, but are not limited to; the effective use of complex, integrated electronic information technology applications as they relate to payroll; oversight of payroll processing functions and identification, maintenance, improvement and implementation of the payroll system and its internal controls. Knowledge and compliance with federal, state, Memorandum of Understanding contracts, California Public Employee Retirement System (CalPERS) and other pension legislation is also a must; along with supporting and implementing the District’s policies and procedures.
MINIMUM JOB REQUIREMENTS:
· Bachelor's degree in Finance/Business required or additional qualifying experience may be substituted on a year-for-year basis in lieu of formal education. Applicants must attach a statement supporting additional qualifying experience.
· A minimum of six years of in-house payroll processing and reporting requirements for federal, state and public agency pension authorities in organizations of 500+ employees.
· A minimum two years of recent related supervisory and/or managerial level Payroll systems knowledge.
· Experience with time and labor implementation & public sector payroll accounting, preferably with a transportation background is highly desirable.
· CPP (Certified Payroll Professional) certification highly desirable; FPC (Fundamental Payroll Certification) strongly preferred.
· Must possess and maintain a current, valid California driver’s license and satisfactory driving record.
o ay operate District vehicles.
· Performs maintenance of an accurate, efficient Payroll system in compliance with federal (i.e. FLSA, FMLA), state, Memorandum of Understanding contracts, CalPERS and other pension legislation as it relates to the payroll module.
· Programs and tests the payroll (IFAS, Kronos, etc.) system enhancements, upgrades, and changes and resolves any technical programs with the payroll system vendor ensuring data integrity is not compromised.
· Provides configuration, data maintenance and security support for time and labor application.
· Serves as an “agent of change” in support of new efforts in tandem with HR, Information Systems Department and Accounting, including increasing efficiency and convenience.
· Creates documentation/procedures and user job aids to assist in the training of department resources and communication of time and labor application and/or process changes.
· Manages user’s access and compliance to established time and attendance policies as it relates to time and labor application.
· Takes ownership of functional issues by identifying underlying problems, analyzing potential solutions, and implementing system resolutions, including workarounds. Documents solutions.
· Controls all interfaces uploads, downloads, compiles and arranges data from diverse and various internal and external sources or agencies.
· Maintain the quality, efficiency and overall effectiveness of the payroll system functions and internal controls, to increase accuracy and decrease risk of fraud and errors.
· Strong documentation skills; including the ability to document current systems & procedures and the rationale behind past solutions & decision points.
· Oversee record retention compliance of standard payroll reports as required by Federal and State laws as well as the established District retention policy.
· Assists with the supervision/training of payroll staff and ensures the goals and direction of the department support District’s goals and vision. This involves the participation of training, motivating and evaluating performance of payroll members.
· Supports internal and/or external auditors in the performance of their work by producing schedules/documentation and answering questions involving District policies and procedures that will assist the auditors in the completion of their work.
· Regular and reliable attendance and performance are required
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
· Knowledge of Federal, State, local laws, collective bargaining agreements and deferred compensation plans.
· Knowledge of laws, rules and regulations governing the preparation and processing of voluntary pre- and post-tax deductions, and involuntary deductions, calculation of employee taxes, tax reporting, record retention and payroll accounting.
· Working knowledge of principles and practices related to system development, implementation and maintenance, and the ability to comprehend technical concepts, programming language, calculation codes, and system documentation.
· Knowledge of automated time and attendance systems and automated payroll systems and reporting.
· Proactive problem solver who is able to develop creative solutions and has a strong commitment to customer service.
· Skill in writing business correspondence, reports, policies, and recommendations.
Job Types: Full-time, Contract
Salary: $39.00 to $41.00 /hour
Meet Your Recruiter
Joshua Bramlett joined the Wollborg Michelson Recruiting Team in January 2018. Since that time, Joshua has supported recruiting and compliance efforts as a Recruiting Coordinator by sourcing, qualifying, and performing background verifications for candidates being considered for various clients’ roles. Because Joshua has excelled at a variety of positions in various industries prior to Wollborg Michelson Recruiting, he has a unique ability to fully understand the roles for which he is recruiting and hone in on the hiring manager’s hard and soft skill requirements when searching for the perfect candidate to fit. Joshua excels at forming strong and lasting working relationships with: candidates - to help minimize attrition, clients - to quickly find the right puzzle piece to their team, and other members of the Wollborg Michelson Recruiting team - to maximize the support leveraged to clients and candidates.