Find Your Dream Job
Finding a Dream Job can feel a lot like searching for a needle in a haystack. We start by viewing each candidate as an individual, identifying their distinct strengths and guiding them to the right opportunities. We're also big believers in mentoring our candidates and creating long-term relationships. Helping you find your Dream Job is really just the start. We want to help you build a Dream Career!
Stop Dreaming. Start Searching.
Development Director, Philanthropy
2820 Shadelands Drive Walnut Creek, CA 94598
The Development Director, Philanthropy is responsible for developing and executing on an overall Development strategy and partnering with the broader team on communications work for the organization. This role focuses on enhancing our donor relations program and managing all aspects of our fundraising initiatives. The successful candidate will be responsible for developing fundraising campaigns, communicating with current and prospective donors, and shaping and focusing our small Development team. This position involves managing individual and corporate gifts as well as planned and annual giving campaigns. Additionally, this role leads the strategy, design and execution of fundraising events. This is a full-time opportunity with a competitive salary and benefits located in the East Bay.
- Establish personal and professional credibility, gain respect, and collaborate across the organization and with outside partners.
- Develop a comprehensive communication plan with senior leadership to promote the organization to its donors and maximize public awareness of the fundraising activities of the organization
- Coordinate the design, printing and distribution of marketing and communication materials for development efforts.
- Build relationships with community stakeholders to advance the mission and fundraising goals of the organization.
- Create and manage to a development budget. Partner with senior leadership to ensure there are clear processes and communication between both departments for all functional areas of the department.
- Develop and gain approval for an annual income and expenditure budget for the fund development program.
- Prepare regular reports on progress, budgets, receipts and expenditure related to fundraising and the management of the fund development activities.
- Monitor expenses and analyze budget reports on fund development and recommend changes as necessary.
- Develop policies and procedures for the development department which reflect ethical fundraising practices
- Lead the strategy and tactical plans for all Development activity.
- Create thoughtful fundraising events that represent the organization appropriately and create funding for key programs.
- Identify key donors, create donor profiles, develop outreach plans and track against defined goals.
- Network to create new relationships with key Corporations and donors and steward the existing donor base.
- Manage & forecast revenue versus expenses.
- Oversee the administration of a donor mailing list and database which respects the privacy and confidentiality of donor information.
- Coordinate in-kind donations and make decisions regarding the issuing of receipts
- Manage one data base/stewardship associate and direct key priorities, define scope and success metrics.
- Monitor and evaluate all fundraising activities to ensure that the fundraising goals are being achieved
- Monitor trends in the community or region and adapt fundraising strategies as necessary
- Developing and tracking proposals and reports for all fundraising efforts.
- Write thoughtful, audience appropriate content with keen attention to accuracy and fact checking.
- Oversee recruitment and management of teams to support the development and execution of the strategy.
- Mentor and develop staff using a supportive and collaborative approach on a consistent basis.
- Demonstrate effective management, leadership, coaching and development of staff by employing Performance Thinking to ensure annual goals and objectives are established for all staff within designated time frames. Ensure job responsibilities and expectations are clearly defined and communicated, work is assigned and distributed appropriately, staff is appropriately trained, and performance issues are addressed in a timely manner.
- 8+ years in a development function.
- Bachelor’ s degree (preferred).
- Experience with Salesforce or other Donor Tracking Software.
- Excellent networking skills.
- Experience running the entire scope of fundraising events, with a proven track record of meaningful ROI and budget oversight.
- Excellent strategic capabilities and a high level of creativity.
- Strong project management.
- Excellent writing skills and attention to detail.
- Deep experience working in the Microsoft Office Suite.
- Demonstrated effective interpersonal and analytical skills.
- Competitive Salary
- Medical, Vision, Dental Coverage
- Paid Holidays
Wollborg Michelson is an Equal Opportunity Employer.