Database Administration- Senior Development Support (Remote)
Phoenix, AZ US
***Wollborg Michelson does not provide sponsorship of work visas, nor do we participate in Corp. to Corp. employment.***
Database Administration- Senior Development Support
Database administration responsibilities that are common to all DBAs in the team. In addition, under minimal supervision educates, advises and supports application development teams to assure compliance with SQL Server standards. Evangelizes best practices for SQL Server, programming, performance tuning, data modeling, design, development, and documentation based on corporate policies, industry best practices, and customer-based business requirements.
- Advises the application development teams in the following:
- Design, development, maintenance and enhancement of database and business solutions, including enterprise-level databases, data-marts, and data warehouses
- Design and implementation of Extract, Transform, and Load (ETL) solutions including SSIS & DTS programming based on SQL Server database design and implementation standards.
- Development of relational and multidimensional SQL database queries
- According to the direction of Enterprise Architects, Application Architects, and Database Administrators, ensuring that released code efficiently cleans and maintains databases by automated procedures to remove old data.
- Development of code for database access, modifications, and constructions including stored procedures.
- The document database applications, server applications, and security policies/procedures, programs, systems, manuals, etc.
- Design, implementation and tuning of database schemas.
- Design of complex systems, including interfaces, data mapping and metadata.
- Formulation of hardware and software requirements.
- Development of time estimates and project schedules based on prioritization and business requirements.
- Evangelizes SQL Server’s functionality and best practices with application development teams and the SQL Server user community.
- Advises application development teams regarding the architecture of SQL Server services, including the Database Engine, Integration Services, Analysis Services, Reporting Services, Master Data Services, etc.
- As requested by app development teams, collaborates with SQL Server architecture design and code reviews.
- Collaborates with application development teams in discovery and resolution of application performance issues related to SQL Server, including indexing strategy, SSIS package optimization, SSRS report optimization, etc.
- Advises application development teams regarding the deployment of SQL Server artifacts.
- Supports application development teams in best practices for job scheduling with ActiveBatch.
- Discovers, documents, and prepares for transition to application development teams, legacy application processes which currently are considered to be owned by the Database Services team.
- Performs the research necessary to advise clients on SQL Server functionality and best practices
Required Job Skills
- 6-10 years of relevant experience
- Working experience with Azure SQL Database, Cosmos DB, Azure Data Factory, Azure Storage, and Azure Virtual Machines.
- Intermediate proficiency in spreadsheet, database, flow charting, and word processing software
- Working technical knowledge of current software protocols and Internet standards to the extent that they apply to database administration.
- SQL Server skills commensurate with the position’s level.
- Excellent database troubleshooting skills
- Working technical knowledge of PowerShell.
- Knowledge of data privacy practices and laws, including HIPAA regulations related to data security.
Required Professional Competencies
- Ability to prioritize tasks and work with multiple priorities, sometimes under limited time constraints.
- Perseverance in the face of resistance or setbacks.
- Effective interpersonal skills and ability to maintain positive working relationship with others.
- Verbal and written communication skills and the ability to interact professionally with a diverse group, executives, managers, and subject matter experts.
- Systems research and analysis. Ability to write and present business documentation.
- Experience working with and managing third parties
- Knowledge of business requirements development and user acceptance testing.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality and privacy
- Analytical knowledge necessary to generate reports based on available data and then make decisions based on reported data
- Facilitate and resolve customer requests and inquiries for all levels of management within the Corporation
- Advanced proficiency in spreadsheet, database, flow charting, and word processing software
- Advanced expertise in SQL Server services.
- Advanced knowledge of computer operating systems
- Advanced systems research and analysis expertise
- Impeccable project management skills
- Solid technical ability and problem solving skills
- Knowledge of internal departments and operations
- Ability to provide mentoring and peer review to team members
- Ability to build lesson plans and deliver to team members
- MCITP SQL Server 2005 Database Administration and Development
- MCITP SQL Server 2008 Database Administration and Development
- MCSE SQL Server 2012 Data Platform
Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science, Information Systems, Business, or related field (All Levels)